Popular Post

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Come Together

I used to consider myself a Beatles expert, but every now and then I read something on Bob Dearborn's The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac that makes me realize my Beatles expert shortcomings. For instance, I had never heard this one before...

July 21, 1969…The Beatles recorded the John Lennon composition "Come Together." It has been suggested that each verse of the song refers to each one of the Beatles: "he's one holy roller" allegedly is about the spiritual George Harrison; "he got monkey finger, he shoot Coca-Cola" supposedly refers to Ringo, the funny Beatle; "he got Ono sideboard, he one spinal cracker" a cryptic reference to Lennon himself; and "got to be good-looking 'cause he's so hard to see," refers to Paul. Rolling Stone magazine ranked "Come Together" at #202 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, and #9 on their list of the Beatles' 100 Greatest Songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment